The Member Challenges at CGC Academy are month-long community events that focus on one theme to help you focus on and achieve short-term goals. We hold a challenge every season and the topic for each challenge will be different for each season. The beginning of each year always kicks off the Member Challenges with a focus on technique, but topics range from scales to duets to metronome practice and much more!
The format for the challenges will differ depending on the focus for each particular month, but in general members who participate will be asked to upload weekly update videos on their progress with the challenge topic and Niki and Dave will provide feedback and guidance via comments in the Forum on each member’s videos. The challenges typically launch on the 1st of the month (schedule listed below) but stay tuned to this page as we may need to make adjustments along the way.
This page houses info as well as signups for all of the challenges. Here is the basic schedule for our round of challenges each year:
- January 1: Winter Challenge (Technique)
- May 1: Spring Challenge
- August 1: Summer Challenge
- November 1: Fall Challenge
To create a post for your update videos in the Member Challenges forum, first go to the appropriate forum in the Member Challenges forum, then scroll to the bottom of the page to “Create a New Topic.” In the “Topic Title” box please put your first and last name and the title of the challenge and/or the exercise you’re working on. In the large box below that you can type your text and directly paste the URL from your YouTube video. For each weekly update please post in this same topic — please do not create a new topic for each weekly update.
Current/Upcoming Member Challenge
CGC 2021 Winter Challenge: Technique
This challenge is all about technique. To participate you must select one exercise (not one routine, one exercise!) from the set Practice Routine from the Grade Exam Submissions for the grade you are working on. For example, if you are working on Grade 1, you will need to select an exercise from Practice Routine 3 to work on. If you’re in Grade 8, you’ll need to select just one exercise from Practice Routine 20. Here’s how to get started:
- Sign up using the form at the bottom of this page. Please use the email associated with your account at CGC Academy.
- To kick off this challenge choose an exercise from your Grade’s set Practice Routine. Each Practice Routine download is located directly at the end of each unit in the Grades here at the Academy. From the Dashboard go to “Grades” and then choose the last unit from the grade you’d like to work on (not counting the theory units) and scroll to the bottom of the list to locate your practice routine — click on that lesson and you’ll see the download link right under the lesson video.
- Then record a video of your status of the exercise, preferably with a metronome, right now. We are looking for videos no longer than 2 minutes. For this first check-in/status video, the goal is to keep things simple and get an idea of where you are with the exercise at present. Don’t worry if it’s not where you want it to be yet.
- Plan out a practice schedule so that you can work on the exercise you’ve chosen in a structured way every day (or for as many days as you can each week to build consistency). Think about how you will go about practicing and what you need to do in order to improve. Use the Forum to ask questions if you get stuck or need help.
- If you’re a Coaching member, stop by the Coaching Calls for some immediate feedback.
- Create your own topic in the Member Challenge #13 Forum at the Academy. To create a post for your update videos, scroll to the bottom of the Member Challenge #13 Forum to “Create a New Topic.” In the “Topic Title” box please put your first and last name along with the Practice Routine exercise you’ll be working on. In the large box below that you can type your text and directly paste the URL from your YouTube video. For each weekly update please post in this same topic — please do not create a new topic for each weekly update.
- Post your recorded video in the forum along with a concise description of your focus by January 8, 2021. You will be uploading progress videos each week until the challenge is complete.
- Signups close January 3
- Fri., January 8: Status Video due
- Fri., Jan. 15: Week 1 video due
- Fri., Jan. 22: Week 2 video due
- Fri., Jan. 29: Week 3 video due
- Sun., Jan. 31 @ 4pm NYC time: Live wrap-up session